jueves, 24 de febrero de 2011

Future tenses

EXPLANATIONS

Remember last year we learnt there are different tenses to talk about the future so, this year, we are just going to revise them.

WILL                                                                       BE GOING TO

1. Spontaneous decisions                               1. Decision previously made
     Oh, there is a fire.                                                             A- Why are you calling Ann?
     I'll call the police inmediately                                          B-I'm going to invite her to dinner.


2. Predictions about the future                     2. Predictions with evidence
(Science, weather forecast, fortune teller...)                       Look, that woman is going to faint.
    In the future,....                                                            
  
3. Opinion                                                       3.  Intentions and plans
I think.../In my opinion,.../                                          I'm going to repair my bicycle.
I'm sure.../I'm afraid...
    I'm sure you'll pass. Don't worry.                                         
      
4. Offers                                                         PRESENT CONTINUOUS                                                I'll help you with your homework.                               1. Definite arrangements
                                                                                   Next Saturday, we are having a party.
5. Threats                                                                    
    Stop bothering me or I'll tell mum.

6. Promises                                                    PRESENT SIMPLE
    I promise I'll help you later.
                                                                        1. Future timetables.
7. Asking someone to do something.            What time does the tour start?            
    Will you help me do my homework, please?

8. Weather forecast.
    What will the weather be like tomorrow?
    It will be sunny and hot.

EXERCISES


Exercise 1                 Exercise 2

16 comentarios: