martes, 1 de marzo de 2011

Conditional Clauses

Have a look at the following grammar explanations (In Spanish!)

Explanaitions in Spanish

Explanations

·        Conditional Sentence Type 0
General truths. (Siempre que haces esto, ocurre esto otro)
Form: If + Simple Present, Simple Present
Example: If you heat the air in a balloon, it becomes bigger.

Exercises
Exercise on Zero Conditional
·        Conditional Sentence Type 1
 It is possible and also very likely (probable) that the condition will be fulfilled.
Example: If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation.
Exercises
   Exercise 2 
  • Unless: A no ser que… (Remember it goes with the verb in the affirmative)
Example: I won’t call you if it is not necessary.= I won’t call you unless it it necessary.

Exercises
Unless
·        Conditional Sentence Type 2
1.  It is possible but very unlikely (improbable), that the condition will be fulfilled.
Form: if + Simple Past, Conditional I (= would + Infinitive)
Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation
Si encontrase su dirección (veo difícil que ocurra), enviaría una invitación.
(I can't find her address so I can't send her an invitation. I might not find it.)

2.  Hypothetical situations. (Situaciones hipotéticas)
Example: What would you do if you were a millionaire?
3. Advice. (Consejos)
Example: If I were* you, I wouldn’t go out tonight.
Exercises  
   Exercise 1
  Exercise 2
·        Conditional Sentence Type 3

Form: if + Past Perfect, Conditional II (= would + have + Past Participle)
  •  It is impossible that the condition will be fulfilled because it refers to the past.
 Example:"If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation".
Si hubiese encontrado su dirección, habría enviado una invitación.
(Es algo que ya no tiene solución, puesto que ya ha ocurrido.)
(I didn't find her address so I didn't send her an invitation)
  • It is also used for regrets. (lamentaciones o arrepentimientos)
Example:"If I had studied harder, I wouln´t have failed the test".
Exercises
Exercise 1
CHART

If Clause
Main Clause
Zero Conditional
PRESENT SIMPLE
PRESENT SIMPLE
First Conditional
PRESENT SIMPLE
WILL + INFINITIVE
CAN/MUST + INFINITIVE
IMPERATIVE
Second Conditional
PAST SIMPLE
WOULD + INFINITIVE
COULD/MIGHT + INF
Third Conditional
PAST PERFECT
WOULD + HAVE + P.P.



  • Exercises: Mixed Types
1st/2nd

  • 2nd/3rd
Upper level
  • 1st/2nd/3rd

Translate into English (Advanced) (Bachillerato Level)


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario